After 2 years of hard work and no pay I closed the doors of my digital marketing agency and applied for a job. I felt lucky that somebody hired me.
Two years later I convinced my wife I should leave that job to launch a new agency. We were making a nice living within a year, and six years after that we’re one of the top growing companies in the Inc 5000.
So what made the difference in my two agencies?
In my first agency, every time I landed a new client I hoped it was the sign I had finally broken through.
My clients mostly came through referrals from people I met at BNI or the Chamber.
I’d build their website, be able to pay most of the bills I was late on, try to get them on a hosting package and then… CRICKETS.
I tried to get my site ranked higher. I published some articles, and I made sure I went to twice as many networking meetings the next month.
But the recurring revenue barely trickled in. I’d get one or two gigs that would help me catch up on bills, and I told myself it would get better.
I remember looking my wife in the eye and telling her it was going to be alright, that she wouldn’t be the only one supporting us much longer because that’s what I wanted to believe.
However, I could barely look her in the eye when I had to tell her I was wrong.
But I didn’t have a choice. I had to recognize that it wouldn’t change, And I didn’t know the way out.
I simply didn’t have a strategy to grow to the next level, so I applied for jobs.
When I tried to start another agency two years later, my wife was understandably hesitant.
I told her what I had figured out a strategy that would make it work this time.
The first time around I didn’t understand the problems I faced in the market, so I never knew what would work.
The problems I faced then are every bit as real 10 years later.
See if any of this sounds familiar…
- The digital marketing agency market is overrun. Anybody can hang out a shingle. And every small business owner gets cold-called for digital marketing at least 4 times a day.
- It is a struggle to create inbound marketing that works so pre-sold clients call you. Most of the people telling you to blog, post, and tweet can’t turn that effort into customers. And it isn’t easy to figure out.
- You can’t grow if you do custom work for every client. The worst thing about this one is that hits you the hardest when you’re the kind of person who takes pride in your work. That’s how it got me and I bet it’s slowing you down, too.
What I want to share with you is the simple plan that we started implementing from day one. This took us straight to a very successful business within a year and has allowed us to push forward to even bigger dreams.
Here are the key elements of this strategy…
- Become the expert in a niche
- Most agencies screw this up. They’ll make an appointment with anybody.
- You MUST differentiate yourself.
- This becomes the basis of your magnetic marketing.
Which brings us to the second point.
- Create a magnetic marketing system that attracts clients
- Complicated funnels including social media, LinkedIn, and blogging are mostly a waste of time.
- You need to create appointments with qualified prospects. Exposure isn’t the answer.
- Focus on delivering incredible, repeatable service
This is impossible until you get the first two things handled. But it’s a breeze when you have the right clients coming to you and your systems are pre-built for their business. You know exactly what to do in advance and they wind up thinking you’re a hero.
You’re like Steve Nash at the line.
Now I’m not going to BS you, this isn’t turnkey or get rich quick.
We‘ve just fine-tuned the systems that we proved in our own business as we installed them in other agencies over and over.
During the two years that I wasn’t even scraping by, I didn’t have a roadmap. But I developed one as I worked on the plan with an experienced and successful mentor.
This isn’t something where we hand you the keys and leave. We work with you to install these systems in your business.
And it starts with planning your Agency Acceleration Session.
This is where a lot of posts send you to a webinar.
But I have already told you more than you ever learn from a webinar pitch.
Instead, I want us to experience working together.
And I want you to get the same clarity I had when I knew it would work.
If you want to get on the Agency Acceleration Session, then it’s simple. At the end of this post, there’s a link to a web form.
Fill out the form. Tell me about your business. And we’ll get on the phone.
The form is open-ended.
That way you can tell me what you need to get to the next level right now and we can get into specifics, or you can keep more details to yourself while you learn how we help.
Once you fill out the form, I’ll share case studies with you that look inside of the agencies we’ve helped. They’re a great way to get a high-level view of what it’s like to work with us before the call.
If all this makes sense to you then just fill out the form, tell me about your business, and let’s talk.
Here’s the form: